5/22/08

Ouch!

It was inevitable (sp?), but I'm sunburned already.

Actually, the first day we flew in (2 days ago), we took a quick bike ride around the island for literally 20 minutes, and my shoulders fried.

Now the backs of my knees are burned. Seriously - the BACKS of my knees?!?

The Marshall Islands (well, this section anyway) is made up of coral. I guess the coral grew tall to form islands, but all the island are connected (underwater) by more coral (that didn't grow as tall). So during low tide you can literally walk from island to island (although some are really far away). There is a small, uninhabited island that is pretty close to Kwajalein that we were going walk to today during low tide (noon), but it was pretty windy, so you couldn't really see the ground very well.

So instead we went snorkeling. Snorkeling here kind-of freaks me out, b/c you are literally in the open ocean. There could be sharks!!! My mom scuba dives and sees them all the time. She claims they won't hurt you, but I would probably pee my pants if I ever saw on while I was snorkeling. The water is only about 2.5 feet deep for about 200 yards, then the ocean floor just DROPS down really, really deep. We snorkled out to the drop off. Freaky! I saw a lot of cool fish though. I should've invested in a digital camera that can be taken underwater before I left. I could've gotten some sweet photos.

edit: Holy crap! I just hit "publish post" and it gave me an error message! Stupid dial up computer. THANK YOU BLOGGER for auto saving every minute. Nothing in this giant post was lost. Whew!

4 comments:

monica said...

I actually looked up the Marshall Islands yesterday after reading your post and read about 'em online. I was so intrigued by who they belong to or what their history was. Neat place, I'd so love to see it. It sounds like a place Andy & I would love, nothing but tropical paradise!

I would be freaked out about the deep ocean too, no way. I'm a chicken about the water like that. They have those underwater digitals getting cheaper and cheaper. For what Andy spends on each trip in disposables, it would be worth it for us too.

Lather up with sunscreen my friend & carry on!!

MirEight said...

I'm a total wimp when it comes to deep water...more power to you. The ocean must be gorgeous though! Put your sunscreen on and for goodness' sake make sure that Jonathan does too!!!!

Terry said...

Amber the olympic that i have goes underwater, it takes great shots too. i think it was under $300. also shock proof dropping it up to 5', which, yes I've done! Sounds fun snorkling all over, great fun! You should have taken a throw away underwater with you, they work good too, and they're cheap!!! thanks for keeping us updated.

Anonymous said...

I totally should've at least bought a cheep underwater camera. Although, since I'm going to be digitally scrapbooking when I get home (thanks to all you girls!), I figured "real" photos would do me no good.

-Amber :0)