5/26/08

Happy Memorial Day!

Since I'm a day ahead of the US, I get to say "Happy Memorial Day" first! Na-na-na-na.

During low tide (and the hotest part of the day) we biked down near the airport's runway to "glass beach". Everybody found some pretty sweet cowries, except me. Nuts! I did find some old ceramic tiles (from the war?). I also found some nice beach glass. Jonathan was happy I found a Poweraid bottle top with some Coke reward points on it.

While we were on the beach (which was more rocks than beach) my dad yells, "look up!" A small army supply plane was flying in getting ready to land. It literally looked like it was going to crash right on top of us. We were standing about 50 yards from the runway. I couldn't get my camera out of my bag fast enough to take a video of it. It was a small plane, so it wasn't very loud and scary, but it was super cool!

From 2-5pm we hit the main beach. There was a Memorial Day beach party. They had a giant slip 'n slide and somebody was selling Shave Ice (yum!). Yes, I spelled that correctly - it's "Shave Ice" (not ShavED Ice, which seems to make more sense gramatically). We discovered Shave Ice on the Travel Channel. I guess it's super famous in Hawaii. We bought some in Hawaii and it was DELICIOUS!!! I'm not sure why it's 100X better than a regular snowcone, but it is. I was excited to get my hands on some more.

We rode our bikes down to the boat dock and watched some more sharks. My mom counted 26. A very stupid turtle (large ocean turtle - Jonathan calls him Crush - although he's only about 4' across) is always swimming with all the sharks, every day. Sometimes the sharks (who I don't think can see very well) run into the turtle, and scare him a little bit, but he always recomposes himself and swims back in to the pack of sharks. What a stupid turtle.

Only 3.5 more days left. We don't really have much planned for the rest of the time.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Memorial Day to you too!!! =:D

Terry said...

ok damn it, that's it...I'm coming with you next time! Beach glass from the Marshal Islands, how fricken cool is that!!!!

Amber said...

I'll make Terry even more jealous ... I just bought a necklace made of beach glass from a resident.

Actually, it looks SUPER easy to make. Just wind some craft wire around the glass. Craft time in Polk City!

Terry said...

DOH!!!! smacks forehead!!! Dont tell me it was dirt cheap, I'll throw myself under my mower!!