5/17/09

Vacation ... barely!

So I did something yesterday (Saturday, May 16) that I've never done before.

I missed my flight!!!

That's right, when Jonathan and I were unloading our luggage from the car, Jonathan said, "where's my duffle bag?"  I said, "I don't know ... crap, our passports are in there!!!"

Did I mention we're going to Canada, so we needed passports?!?

At this point our flight is leaving in 1 hour.  There is no way he can run home to get them, and make it back on time.

So I took all the luggage to the airport to see what we our options were.

Long story (and tears) later, we actually got a better flight.  Before we had to stop in Houston and stop in Portland on our way to Vancouver.  With this new flight (and no extra fees from United - thank you United guy!!!  I think me crying really sealed the deal), we only had to stop in Chicago.

Here was my time line:
4am - wake up
6am - changing my 6:30am flight to a 10:30am flight
10:30am - leave Orlando
12 - arrive in Chicago (if I would've known I was flying into Chicago I could've had my brother or my friend Julie meet me at the airport.  We had a 3 hour layover.)
4pm - leave Chicago late
7pm - arrive in Vancouver
9pm (which is really midnight) - fall asleep!

So, all in all, I sat around the Orlando and the Chicago airport for about 7 hours total.  Thank goodness we brought our laptop and some Futurama DVDs.

Thank you Ramada Inn for the free wi-fi!

4 comments:

Kristen C. said...

OMG Amber! This is crazy. Oh wel, at least you got your one vacation snafu over with early on... have a wonderful time :) We will miss you guys this week!

Terry said...

OMG, it's our biggest nightmare for that to happen. I will be double checking stuff in July on our way to CALI!!! Have a great trip......cough*thimble*cough....

monica said...

Aww.... I'm glad you got it fixed. I am the most paranoid "do we have it all" person in the world. I drive Andy INSANE~ Glad you made it there safely. Just told Andy yesterday I can not wait to hear all about it!!!

(I have to confess to also saying I want to do the Alaska cruise someday, but I am so not ready for it anytime soon. I would have a hard time leaving warm spring/summer temps and going somewhere colder. Ugh....I'm having enough issues with it cooler here today on my first day of summer.)

-H- said...

DOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!
That's like the biggest DOH!!! moment!!!
I always keep a copy of my passport at my trusted friend's house near the airport. Just in case of any emergency situations, it can help. ;)
I hope rest of your vacation goes without a hitch! ;)