1/21/08

Cruise report - day 1

Jonathan and I were on the Disney Magic cruise ship from Jan 12-19, 2008 celebrating our 1 year wedding anniversary. I can't believe it's been 1 year already!!


It was super fun! We both can't wait to go back on another cruise! Don't tell Jonathan - but I think he was getting a little misty eyed on the very last night at dinner, when they were having the big "good bye" celebration.



Saturday, January 12, 2008.


We left home around 9:45am (b/c I was still washing a pair of pants I wanted to bring along - turns out I never wore those pants!). After about 70 miles (anad $5 in tolls) we arrived in Port Canaveral.



We boarded the ship around 12:30pm. It worked out very nice - by the time we ate lunch at Topsiders (my favorite place on the ship), our room was ready. We booked a category 8 room - which means we had a giant window. Plus it was on deck 5 (there are 10 total decks on the cruise) so we were never too many flights of stairs away from anything (especially the ice cream machine on deck 9).



For the rest of the day we explored the ship and throughouly (sp?) examined the movie schedule and the nightly theatrical show schedule and planned accordingly. I think the thing we were most looking forward to was watching all the free movies onboard (and we hit them all!)


At 6pm we watched DAN IN REAL LIFE. It was a pretty good movie. Steve Carrell is pretty entertaining. It was a little artsy for my taste and it just kind-of 'ended' suddenly, but I would still recommend it. We skipped out on the Sail-a-way party to watch the movie. We also caught part of the Saturday NFL playoff game in Diversions (the sports bar). I could've spend all my time in Diversions b/c they had the best nachos EVER. Jonathan was also drolling over their chicken wings.

Our dinner rotation was at 8:30pm - which is WAY TOO LATE for me to eat, but what can you do. We at at Lumier's on Sunday night. The first night is always kind-of awkward, b/c you are sitting at a table with 4 other strangers, so it's a real 'getting to know you' process. We sat with a travel agent couple from CA (who have taken over 20 cruises) and a couple from NJ. Both couples were in their early 50's (I'm guessing they were b/c they had kids in their late 20's). We pigged out on an appetizer, bread, main course and dessert, then went to bed.



Our towel (towel + blanket) animal for the night.

More later . . .

2 comments:

Terry said...

Amber, i'd love to take that cruise, visiting all those different places would be cool. Looks like you had a great time for sure.

monica said...

Love your pics, love that the towel animals have snorkel stuff on. You crack me up with the movies! I practically weep the last night. The dinner, the show and then when the characters wave goodbye in the lobby. I'm telling you, weepy! We are ready to cruise again too, talking about spring break. Disney Cruises rock, they know how to do it right! 7 Night Disney must be heavenly, we'll make one (and then actually go) eventually. LOL--

Keep the stories coming!!

Oh and... tell me about tolls!! When we come down all the way through WDW and then on down, craziness in tolls!!!!