6/17/06

Photos from Missouri - part 2

After I finally got over my car sickness, Jonathan, his dad and I went to Onondoga Cave. The walking tour was 1 mile thru the cave.
Obviously, these stalagmites (sp?) are called "The Twins". (everybody giggle at their name ...). Stalagmites 'grow' 1 inch (or was it 1 cm?) every 10 years (I think?). These suckers were about 8' high! The white one is still 'live'.

The next picture shows some "bacon grease" dripping off this mini cliff. The tour guide said that rain water mixes with 'acid' in the ground as it seeps in to the cave, which forms all these amazing things. Water from the ceiling kept hitting us. I couldn't help thinking of the Animal Kingdom 3D movie "It's Tough to be a Bug", "Oooooh, I hope none of you are allergic to acid."

As we exited the cave, there were some bats hanging out (no pun intended) by the door. One started swooping around. The guide said they won't touch you, but they will get pretty darn close to you (before their sensors kick in, I guess). Being the pansy that I am, I ducked. Being the pansy Jonathan is, he ducked too. He knocked heads and I let out a little scream. How embarrassing.

It was hard to take pictures inside a pitch black cave. I didn't have a 'cave setting' on my digital camera. And it was freezing in there!! I think the tour guide said it was 57 degrees. One lady on our tour had shorts, a tank top and flip flops on. I don't know how she survived.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I thought all the newest digital cameras had 'cave' settings. ????

We have bats at our house. I don't like them. I'd be screaming too.

Cool pictures! :)

Anonymous said...

Jonathon's a pansy? who knew?

Kidding!

I would have totally ducked too.

I believe I am actually allergic to acid myself.

Traci said...

As a kid I toured a cave like that. Aren't they just amazing??

My digital has "cave" settings!! LOL!

Anonymous said...

The first picture of "twin" kind of resembles the last pic of "Jonathan & Mr. Howarld"... Is it just my creative eyes seeing that? ;0>

Terry said...

cool stuff Amber, looks like something we should do, it's close to us.

nice shots....love the cave setting thing...lol

Anonymous said...

Hmm I love the idea behind this website, very unique.
»