2/4/08

Cruise Report - day 5 (Cozumel)

This was the day Jonathan was looking forward to the most - Cozumel day. The main reason we booked the Western Cruise was b/c Jonathan wanted to see Mayan ruins.


The shore excursion warned us plain as day "do not book this if you get motion sickness". Well, I alway poo-poo that warning - dramamine will take care of me.


Let me just give all you who plan to book the Tulum Excursion and are ignoring the warnings. YOU WILL GET SICK!!!! Luckily the tour guide had barf bags to pass out. Sorry teenage kid I was sitting next to!


So we had to take a ferry boat from the island of Cozumel to mainland Mexico (that is what did me in). Thankfully after loosing my breakfast, I felt 1000X better. We walked a bit thru some Mexican area to some buses. We drove about 1/2 hour to some gift shop where we stopped for a break (I bought a Mexican gatorade), then another 10 minutes to Tulum. We also received a lunch - from SUBWAY. Sweet - but not very Mexican-y. Although the chips were some sort-of Spanish Cheetos. They were good.


Let's just say that the ruins were super awesome. We had a 45 minute tour and then we walked around on our own. We took a zillion photos.


Jonathan and I agreed that the shore excurion was super cool and worth it. However, all it all it was an 8 hour day, but only about 2.5 hours were at Tulum Ruins. The rest was traveling to get there and back.

Long story short - I threw up twice more that evening and missed the Pirate Party and fireworks. Grrrrr! Oh well, that's another reason why we'll need to go back soon.

Oh, and there were big, gross lizards in Mexico. At least they didn't move very fast or touch me.

4 comments:

monica said...

Ewwww, I'm so sorry you got sick! I feel your pain 100%. I always choose shore excursions that have very short transport times, just for that reason. I refuse to do any sort of bus tour, though we've wanted to check some out. I also make sure boats that we travel on to islands are open air, that helps me. At least you were a trooper!! I admire that, I'm a chicken!!

Traci said...

Amber, you poor thing!

Beautiful area!! No wonder Jonathan wanted to see it!!

You are definitely a trooper. And you said it was my driving. LOL

Anonymous said...

That area looks beautiful, now I will have to add that to my list of places to visit!

Oh and I love the Lizard, they facinate me!

Anonymous said...

Oh and I meant to say, sorry you got sick, that must be a real pain for ya!