9/16/09

Evacuation!

I did something awesome on 9/9!  We got to evacuate off the MCO monorail.

If you’ve never been to the Orlando International Airport (MCO), after security, you hop on a monorail to go to all the gates. It’s only about a 1 minute ride. It just goes up then back, up then back all day long. I don’t think there are any drivers.

Our monorail stopped about 3/4 of the way there. We waited and waited (while watching the 2nd monorail pass us a couple times). No announcement or anything.

A Southwest employee on a golf cart on the tarmac noticed us and signaled that he was going to call somebody. A couple minutes later, a businessman picked up the emergency phone, but nobody ever answered on the other end.

After only about 5 or 6 minutes, our car (there are 3 cars to the monorail) decided to escape. Another business man managed to manually open the door, and we one by one stepped out onto a concrete slab, and walked towards the airport.

It was funny to look at the people still standing around cars 1 and 2. They were all looking at their door and wondering how we all managed to escape.

About 2 minutes later, some airport workers came to fix the issue and the monorail finally made it to the terminals.

I wish I had my camera handy (it was at the bottom of my bag) to take a photo of us walking where were weren’t supposed to walk!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We once had to walk all the way from the terminal back to the main gate. It was really funny with all of us walking - it is a long walk!

I don't remember a lot of details, I'll try to jog Scott's memory to see if he remembers what happened.

-H- said...

That happened to me before!! I had to walk to the terminal on that concrete trail. Are we like chosen ones? ;)