10/5/07

Baltimore Blog - part 8

"It's Don Rosa Day!"

Jonathan woke up very excited! It was actually quite adorable. He was finally going to meet Don Rosa!

If you’ve never heard of Don Rosa – he is the author and artist behind the Scrooge McDuck comic books. I believe he took over in the 80’s? The Scrooge McDuck comic have only had 2 men behind them – Carl Barks, who created Uncle Scrooge and all the duck characters (except for Donald, and maybe the nephews???). When Carl Barks passed away, Don Rosa took over. I’m sure that little autobiography is way off. If you’re really interested (actually, it is quite interesting), just wikipedia Carl Barks and Don Rosa.

After taking the slow train to the Baltimore Convention Center (which is right across the street from Camden Yards – that was awesome), we walked into NERDS-VILLE, population: A TON OF PEOPLE! The line to get tickets was huge (we already had them), and the line to enter the convention was huge!

I stood in line while Jonathan went off to see why everybody had a wristband. My line started to move. As I wound my way up and down the convention center hallway, Jonathan wasn’t back yet. He still wasn’t back. Where is he? By now I’ve almost wound my way into the convention. I don’t have a ticket or wrist band. My line gets to the door of the convention . . . and I walk right in . . . no ticket checker, no wrist band checker. I’m in – for free!!!

(not really, because we pre-purchased tickets)

Man – I rule at sneaking into places.

I finally found Jonathan (who got 2 wristbands), and we ran to Don Rosa’s table. I was expecting mayhem, because there were thousands of people at this convention, and I’ve been to Star Wars weekends. It’s a lot of line waiting.

DON ROSA WAS SITTING BY HIMSELF! Score!!! I couldn’t believe it! So Jonathan got him to sign a bunch of comics he brought. He had Don Rosa sketch old man Beagle Boy. He chit chatted with him. He bought some prints.

All in all – we spent hundreds of dollar to vacation to Baltimore to meet Don Rosa for 15 minutes. Doh! But it was totally worth it!

Up next – lucky number 8!

No comments: