9/24/07

Baltimore Blog - part 5

“You take a pee where?!?”

After a delicious lunch of Chinese food, we still had 4-5 hours to kill. We purchase tickets to tour 4 old timey boats and a lighthouse that are docked at the inner harbor.

Up first, the oldest boat of the bunch, the Constellation. I think it was in the Civil War? I know it made a couple slave runs as well. Either way, it was from 1850 or something?

History is definitely not my thing, so luckily this boat had an audio option. We had to carry around these huge devices, and press a number when you wanted to hear something. There was an adult tour and a kids tour. I was all over the kids tour – it was actually quite interesting.

The sailors showered ONCE A WEEK. And they went to the bathroom up on the top deck of the ship – right in front of everybody. That ship must have smelled awful. We were sweating just walking around it. I can’t imagine wearing a uniform, working hard all day, then not showering. And don’t get me started about having to drink sauerkraut juice to ward off scurvy! They also only got to sleep 4 hours a night.

It was surprisingly fun!

Up next – “Dive, dive, dive!”

2 comments:

Kingmsmn67 said...

I'm guessing if it rained they were outside getting a shower

Anonymous said...

Amber, the kids menu lol!!